Saturday 3 March 2012

Thank god for embro, Assos and hot coffee--Over the Hills and Far Away

Starting out in the rain is never encouraging no matter how light; but with a thick layer of embro and hopes that it would clear out I set off. Within 45 minutes my booties and knickers had soaked through, luckily my jacket was holding tough, despite not being a rain-specific jacket. Passing Tayport I was rewarded with slackening precipitation and treated to some lovely views along the coast. I turned in from the coast to begin heading down to Cupar when I experienced a Fox Hunt for the first time--30 or so people in full morning jackets and formal riding wear with 30 bloodhounds, running under the horses it seemed, all entering a field to begin. After grinding up a surprisingly steep hill without properly gearing for it I was rewarded with a breathtaking view of rolling green Scottish hills stretching into the fog. And quickly had the opening Led Zeppelin's "Over the Hills and Far Away" stuck in my head. A tricky, wet, technical descent followed and I was thoroughly happy I was the only one on the road so I could use its entire width. Short, steep rollers followed until Cupar, and from there home I tried to hit it: I was wet, my feet were cold and I was ready for a steaming cup of coffee. Despite the discomfort it was one of the better rides I've had recently and I can't wait to head to the Tay coast again.













No comments:

Post a Comment