Saturday 10 March 2012

Half Century

It'd been a while since I had done a half-century (more than 6 months, a travesty in my mind); but I never really had the time between schoolwork, jobs, and all of the other pushes and pulls in Uni life. But with no work, the girlfriend gone for the day, and warm--for Scotland--weather, the roads beckoned. 20 mph winds quickly put an end to the idyllic spin across Fife I had imagined as I spent the first 15-20 miles slamming into a head/cross wind. I rode 2 interesting new climbs in this sector: Craigs(anquhar) Hill--aka W Bryson Hill Road on Strava--and the A916 climb out of Cupar. The latter of which I quite enjoyed and seemed to suit my ideal characteristics (it wasn't steep).  A few miles of rollers led me to the descent into Upper Largo, and I remained along the coast for the rest of the ride, thankfully finally spinning with the wind generally at my back, letting the salt in the sea air regenerate my lungs. Turning up past Crail felt like riding into a brick wall again, and my legs were beginning to feel the distance: cramps were working their way in--thankfully, slowly. After grinding my way back into town, I did a few finishing miles along the beach in an attempt to warm-down. But I decided to top it all off with a cobbles blast--as fun as it always is.

Above Upper Largo

Elie 

Somewhere between St Monans and Anstruther




No comments:

Post a Comment