Thursday 29 March 2012

Belgium Day 2

Decided to head to a reported cycling superstore to look for a jersey. I trained to the outskirts of Brussels in an attempt to lower the commute time, but just ended up waiting for an hour for the right train. Finally on the road, I managed to trespass within a mile. After the hiccups,  I found myself in a small suburb filled with beautiful Scandinavian Mid-Century Modern houses. Spinning along quiet country roads, past farm fields, through more sleepy towns, over plenty of stretches of cobbles, including one rather treacherous descent, past plenty of other roadies. After a slightly rough start, all in all it was a rather pleasant easy day in the saddle: mostly down hill, great scenery. Finally arriving in Aalst, I was treated to a medieval square, complete with McDonalds. I made it to the superstore, called Van Eyck Sports, it is at least the size of Tesco in St Andrews, if not larger. They have everything you can imagine or ever need and then some; the customer service is crap, but if you know what you need, you're set. Back in the square I lunched on the best wafel I have ever had bar none with a great cup of coffee. Waffles, coffee, and cobbles: I don't need much else for a good day.



End of a cobbled descent




Abbey--hopefully making Trappist Beer
Aalst

Aalst

Aalst

No comments:

Post a Comment