Sunday 29 April 2012

Tayport Hill

Stupidly braved the high winds today in an effort to squeeze in a relaxing ride, which turned out to be not so easy. With the wind at my back I was able to take the bike path out of town at a nice easy spin, however, the moment I hit Guardbridge and turned towards Leuchars I was pushing through a miserable headwind. Howling over my ears it felt consistently like I was climbing up an enormous hill. Going past Tentsmuir and riding towards Tayport provided small relief from the bushes and trees lining the road. Another turn before Tayport had me heading generally at Newport-on-Tay, but I found myself on a very enjoyable stretch of road--devoid of cars, quiet, nicely wooded and pretty, with a decent little climb in the middle of it. Descended to the Tay coast after this, down the Castle Brae, which descending was scary so I can't imagine how difficult it is to go up. I'll be trying it sometime soon. Passing Wormit and turning back towards the wind made it feel like I was trying to cycle through Jell-O. The miles ticked by slowly, I was just riding for the next one. Taking the hill up to Strathkinness was the easier option, as I had a tail/crosswind on the way up, then descending back into town I at least had gravity's assistance to help with the wind. A car very nicely sideswiped my rear wheel on market street, so we'll see how bent it is tomorrow.
In the Tay Woods, on the Hill








A few miles north of St Michaels



No comments:

Post a Comment