Sunday 22 April 2012

Muurs in the Ardennes, Plus a newly discovered one

Two longish rides over the past few days, both with 2,000ft/ approx. 610m of climbing per day. My legs are thoroughly tired from the distance and hills. On Saturday we spun nicely towards Balmullo, and then along the quiet B946. The roads were wet and there was plenty of spray but nothing intolerable. Near the coast to just past Bottomcraig, when we hit the first climb of the day, the leg breaking Coarse Brae. Much steeper than it looks at first, you always have to gear as low as possible to just keep the legs turning over. Circling around through passing showers, we came up the slightly easier Coarse Brae South before heading down to Kilmany. Through and up the utterly brutal Oude Kilmany with its killer ramp taking all the breath out of your lungs just before the switchback. A few more rollers were all that stood between us and St Andrews; we made quick work of them before spinning home.

With most of the team down and out due to sickness, crashes, or other things, I took the opportunity to take a ride for myself. I squeezed in a few roads and climbs I enjoyed, tried to take it easy in the surprisingly beautiful weather that had graced Scotland. The sun shone as I rolled across the roads. Up Ceres d'Huez, down to Largo, before attempting the Muur van Nieuwburgh for the first time. A nasty, long, steep climb over rough roads covered with strewn gravel--straight out of Belgium, it only needs a smattering of Pavé to make it more authentic. I ground my way up, pedaling squares, rhombuses, rectangles, trapezoids, any other four pointed shape that indicates a complete lack of smoothness. I had to contemplate returning directly home to rest my throbbing legs, but after a little rest, I decided to do the last climb I had planned, the sloping Arncroach climb. Not particularly difficult, but it puts up a fight. Headed home along one of my top three roads, stringing together a nice few corners.

Saturday

Saturday, just past Coarse Brae North



Sunday







Saturday:


Sunday:


No comments:

Post a Comment