Wednesday 25 April 2012

Listen to yourself

There are days where you have to kick your own ass to get out the door and once you do you have a great day. Then there are days when everything still fights against you. Knowing the difference between the two is highly important. I went out to meet Mark D. after fixing yet another flat (that's four changes in three days of riding) and he wanted to do something much longer and harder. We went our separate ways but within a mile I wasn't feeling right. The legs, the mind, and the bike were rebelling, fighting against my desire to ride--there was no synchronicity between any of them, and all three felt awful. Add in 25mph or so winds, wet roads, frequently passing showers and already low temperatures and I began to feel that I just wasn't destined to ride today. So I quickly headed home to a warm cup of coffee and rest for tomorrow's intervals. Listening to your body is one of the most important things a cyclist does, and I'm happy I did today. I've fought and gone ahead other days and end up regretting it. Not to mention the added danger of not fully paying attention, not being at full physical capacity, etc. Throwing in the towel is not necessarily a sign of weakness, it can be a sign of wisdom and knowing your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment