Sunday 20 May 2012

Almost Made It!

Beautiful day today, picturesque blue skies, incredible visibility, not too too cold. Went out with a Uni employee, Clifford, and had a lovely ride--almost. Chatting, spinning away the opening miles up to Strathkinness, down to Kemback before climbing back out to Ceres opened up my tired legs nicely. We turned onto the Eden Ridge Road (now listed in the "Easy Climbs" map in "The Climbs" tab; the one that heads to Star and eventually Falkland) and made our way through its rollers, admiring the views and the weather. I was sad to reach its end, but was wonderfully surprised by Devon Pass; climbing higher and higher, by the top we could see Edinburgh and most of the surrounding valleys. A fun descent ensued (I'm sure it would be a savage climb--will have to check it out soon) and more relaxing rolling miles ticked by, going down into Cupar, skirting the edge, before climbing back towards Pitscottie when my rear goes flat. Not a big deal anymore with all the practice I've had; as I'm about to jump back in the saddle, the tire literally explodes. Manage to patch it up and cover some of the spoke holes in the rim, re-inflate, turns out I have to true the rim--by the time I'm done, I hear a hissing noise. Find the hole, patch, pumping up with Clifford's frame pump, as I'm centering the brake after I pop the wheel in hear more hissing and decide its cab time, only seven or so miles away from being a fantastically good ride, my bike almost made it all the way. At least I didn't flat on a descent, something that always worries me and makes me squeeze the brakes early and at least I didn't flat like this further away from St Andrews.

Early on while riding the Eden Ridge Road

Eden Ridge Road

Eden Ridge Road

Eden Ridge Road

Eden Ridge Road

Devon Pass

Lomond Hills from Devon Pass

Towards Edinburgh from Devon Pass

Looking towards the top of Devon Pass


No comments:

Post a Comment